Your browser does not support JavaScript!
Procedures for Applying to Study Mandarin Chinese in Taiwan


1. Choose a School


Many schools and universities welcome international applicants. Based on their personal interest

and courses offered, applicants can choose among a wide range of schools. You can get more schools'

information from this handbook.


2. Complete The Application

Applicants must submit the following documents when applying for a school:


  • Application for enrollment (the format of which is to be determined by each individual school)

  • A photocopy of the graduation certificate from the highest foreign educational institution completed (in Mandarin Chinese or English translation)

  • An English translation of the transcript of the student’s entire course work at that institution

  • Two letters of recommendation

  • A health certificate (including an HIV test)

  • A study plan in Mandarin Chinese or English




3. Obtain a Visa


Visitor visas and resident visas are issued to students depending on the length of their study.

Students admitted to a Mandarin Studies program will need to apply for a vistor/resident visa.



      Have received formal letter of admission

      Foreign nationals who hold foreign or travel documents

      Passports and documents valid for more than six months



      One completed application form

      A confirmed incoming and outgoing roundtrip air ticket

      One passport photo

      Documents verifying the purpose of the visit

      Other relevant documents

The Visitor Visa Application Form can be downloaded from the following website:

4. Entry & Exit

The following documents are needed for visa issuance.



      A completed visitor visa application form

      A valid visitor visa

      A passport valid for at least six months

      A confirmed return air ticket or an air ticket and a visa for the next destination, and a confirmed seat reservation for his/her departure.



      Students are required to show their passports and Alien Resident Certificates to the Customs authorities.

      Students should depart before their visa’s expiration date.



      Students are required to show their passports and Alien Resident Certificates to Customs authorities.

      Students are required to apply for a re-entry permit from the authorities before they leave Taiwan and show it to the Customs officials when they re-enter.



5.Useful Links


Organization Functions

Bureau of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Tel: +886-2-2343-2885 或2895
Fax: +886-2-2343-2968


Visa and related information

Taipei City Police Department

Tel: +886-2-2381-7494


ARC application

The Bureau of International Cultural and Educational Relations, Ministry of Education

Tel: +886-2-2356-5581 
Fax: +886-2-2397-6979


Information relating to studying in Taiwan

Study in Taiwan


Information relating to studying in Taiwan

Center for Language Education

Tel: +886-7-6011000Ext7008
Fax: +886-7-6011710

Information and services for students enrolled in courses at the center